None of the thumbnails are appearing

Hi! @deevo so I have successfully installed the latest version of trayimporter on my Mac. However, when I open it none of the thumbnails are appearing and if I try to replace the thumbnail image the program just quits. Is there any solution for this? 

This is my set up:

MacPro 2017 with Big Sur OS

Sims 4 Installed in an external SSD (including the electronic arts folder where mods are), btw the program can read the mods if I run the conflict finder. 

I also attached some screenshots (I couldn't add the image to the post so here you have the links):

https://ibb.co/CQKhwJf

https://ibb.co/HY2MQVf

Thank you for your help in advance 😜

Hello @Simsthebuilder,
You can find a fix for the missing thumbnails here: S4TI MAC - 2020-11-20 - Annonces - LuniverSims

Not sure if it will also fix the Replace dialog crash. 🤔

Il y a 5 heures, Simsthebuilder a dit :

I couldn't add the image to the post so here you have the links

To insert images in your post, just drag them into your post. 😉

Or use the tool just below the editor.

On 12/9/2020 at 7:23 PM, deevo said:

Hello @Simsthebuilder,
You can find a fix for the missing thumbnails here: S4TI MAC - 2020-11-20 - Annonces - LuniverSims

Not sure if it will also fix the Replace dialog crash. 🤔

To insert images in your post, just drag them into your post. 😉

Or use the tool just below the editor.

Hi @deevo, so I just tried the new file you recommended and I replaced the old one with the new one in the applications folder. However, everything is still the same. am I doing something wrong ? 😅

EDIT: I actually was just able to fix the cc part and I can now see the cc list on my households etc but my problem keeps being the thumbnails and the app quitting once I try to change a thumbnail. 

Screenshot 2020-12-12 at 00.40.51.png

Screenshot 2020-12-12 at 00.40.22.png

Edited by Simsthebuilder
Il y a 2 heures, Simsthebuilder a dit :

my problem keeps being the thumbnails and the app quitting once I try to change a thumbnail.

The fix worked for Catalina but Big Sur was unconfirmed, maybe @twmuse can confirm the bug is still present on Big Sur.
In taskbar>Sims4TrayImporter>App Reports you can see the last crash report, attach it to your message.

I am on a Mac with Big Sur and I am having the same problem with the app not showing the pictures. I tried installing the fix but it did not work. And each time I installed a new one trying to get it to work I had to use the terminal command to fix the permissions. (This string will be of much help later down the line with other apps. I actually think this is why I couldn't get Roblox to work right for my son.) It had worked on Catalina. I was an initial issue, no pictures at first but it got fixed with some update down the line. Now that I’m on Big Sur I have no pictures.

Il y a 2 heures, BlueSkyla a dit :

Now that I’m on Big Sur I have no pictures.

Well I think you've confirmed the bug is from Big Sur. 😞

Il y a 2 heures, BlueSkyla a dit :

And each time I installed a new one trying to get it to work I had to use the terminal command to fix the permissions.

The terminal command should be used as a resort.
The preferred way is to open System Preferences>Security & Privacy>General and check if the app is blocked by the system, this apply to any apps not just S4TI. 😉
More info here: FAQ - Troubleshooting (MacOS) - Aide - LuniverSims

15 minutes ago, deevo said:

The preferred way is to open System Preferences>Security & Privacy>General and check if the app is blocked by the system, this apply to any apps not just S4TI.

I can confirm or state that S4TI has NEVER shown up like other apps in the System Preferences>Security & Privacy>General section, I must always do the terminal method every time I put in a new version of S4TI.

• Sad 1
25 minutes ago, deevo said:

Well I think you've confirmed the bug is from Big Sur. 😞

The terminal command should be used as a resort.
The preferred way is to open System Preferences>Security & Privacy>General and check if the app is blocked by the system, this apply to any apps not just S4TI. 😉
More info here: FAQ - Troubleshooting (MacOS) - Aide - LuniverSims

I updated to Big Sur a bit ago and redownloaded the app just yesterday and it installed and allowed me to open it but with no pictures. I'm finding if I uninstall a program completely using an app to uninstall, it messes with the system and won't show up to allow it to open manually. So that command will save my life moving forward if this continues to happen with certain apps. As I had this same issue with another app recently, not showing up in preferences to allow it to open. If only I knew this string because the method I used for that was much more complicated. So thanks for that and I'll be looking forward to an update. Especially if it won't require Mono. I wish there were more developers that ported to mac. So thanks cause this tool helps so much with narrowing down certain conflicts. 

Il y a 1 heure, twmuse a dit :

I must always do the terminal method every time I put in a new version of S4TI.

One way to fix this would be to create the archive from a Mac so that it preserves the file attributes.
Right now I'm using a python script to create the archive, this allows me to set the executable flag, but looks like it doesn't work either. 😕

il y a 53 minutes, BlueSkyla a dit :

So that command will save my life moving forward if this continues to happen with certain apps. As I had this same issue with another app recently, not showing up in preferences to allow it to open. If only I knew this string because the method I used for that was much more complicated.

Google is your friend! 😉

il y a 53 minutes, BlueSkyla a dit :

So thanks for that and I'll be looking forward to an update. Especially if it won't require Mono. I wish there were more developers that ported to mac. So thanks cause this tool helps so much with narrowing down certain conflicts.

Most developers won't port their apps because it requires a rewrite, mostly the UI part but it's enough to discourage many of them, or they just don't know about Mac.
And while it does work, it's doesn't have as many features as the Windows port does. 😕
I don't know for sure how it will end, but theoretically the new version should not require Mono as it will be bundled with the app, but it will suffer from the same open issue as any non-Apple Store apps. 🤔

• 5 weeks later...

Hello @jaz,
I haven't worked on it, so yes the bug is still there. 😕

The problem is that I don't have a clue where I should start looking, and not having access to a Mac doesn't help at all.

The issue could be Mono, a change in the latest versions that support Catalina and Big Sur broke the image loading.

Or it could just be that your Mac doesn't allow S4TI to read the thumbnails, but I don't see why since it doesn't seem to have an issue with the other tray files.

From what I know, even the preview in the General tab doesn't show up. Right? 🤔

Does the thumbnail show up when you click on the second thumbnail of an household or a lot?

I could try to disable the opacity mask on the thumbnails to see if the problem is caused by thumbnail loader, but that would mean that something has changed in Mono or Big Sur.

Images loaded in a different thread than the UI one could also be an issue on Mac.

8 hours ago, deevo said:

Hello @jaz,
I haven't worked on it, so yes the bug is still there. 😕

The problem is that I don't have a clue where I should start looking, and not having access to a Mac doesn't help at all.

The issue could be Mono, a change in the latest versions that support Catalina and Big Sur broke the image loading.

Or it could just be that your Mac doesn't allow S4TI to read the thumbnails, but I don't see why since it doesn't seem to have an issue with the other tray files.

From what I know, even the preview in the General tab doesn't show up. Right? 🤔

Does the thumbnail show up when you click on the second thumbnail of an household or a lot?

I could try to disable the opacity mask on the thumbnails to see if the problem is caused by thumbnail loader, but that would mean that something has changed in Mono or Big Sur.

Images loaded in a different thread than the UI one could also be an issue on Mac.

Oh okay I understand! And yeah I don’t see the thumbnails anywhere, not in the preview or anything I click on. I wish I could help but I’m not a tech person at all. 

Le 17/01/2021 à 09:25, jaz a dit :

And yeah I don’t see the thumbnails anywhere, not in the preview or anything I click on.

That's what I thought by seeing the screenshots. 😞

Here's the version with the opacity mask disabled:

Sims4TrayImporter_20210125_imgtest.zip

This will force the thumbnails to be loaded as raw jpg, since thumbnails are just JPEG files with a special attribute for the opacity mask.

If the thumbnails still fails to show up, running the app in Terminal should allow to output some error messages from the app.

mono <pathtoS4TI>/Sims4TrayImporter.app/Contents/MonoBundle/Sims4TrayImporter.exe

Tip: type "mono " then drag the app on the terminal window to get the path, then append /Contents/MonoBundle/Sims4TrayImporter.exe

@twmuse can you take a look to see if this version works better on Big Sur 🥺

I'm having the same issue... I don' know s** about terminal but typing mono and then dragging the app tells me this: 

mono /Users/---/Desktop/Sims4TrayImporter.app

Cannot open assembly '/Users/---/Desktop/Sims4TrayImporter.app': File does not contain a valid CIL image.

everything else tells me no such file in directory

Oh sorry my bad! Let's try again -- mind you I have NOO idea what I'm doing but since you mentioned not having access to a mac I though maybe the error messages tell you something? anyways this is what I'm getting now? (not sure if the spaces are right either but this is the only way I got something new)

mono /Users/---/Desktop/Sims4TrayImporter.app/Contents/MonoBundle/Sims4TrayImporter.exe

Unhandled Exception:
System.InvalidOperationException: Could not detect platform. Are you missing a platform assembly?
  at Eto.Platform.get_Detect () [0x000d5] in <6db481985cca4510b36c8dbd12852b82>:0 
  at Sims4TrayImporter.Program.Main (System.String[] args) [0x00000] in <16a3aeb21efe4253bcffee75e4c9caa9>:0 
[ERROR] FATAL UNHANDLED EXCEPTION: System.InvalidOperationException: Could not detect platform. Are you missing a platform assembly?
  at Sims4TrayImporter.Program.Main (System.String[] args) [0x00000] in <16a3aeb21efe4253bcffee75e4c9caa9>:0 

No problem I'll gladly try out stuff instead of doing work haha okay this time it still says this: (Rick is my laptops name don't mind it I included the whole thing this time in case i messed up somewhere else)

Rick:~ ---$ cd ~/Desktop/Sims4TrayImporter.app/Contents/MonoBundle

Rick:MonoBundle ---$ mono Sims4TrayImporter.exe

Unhandled Exception:

System.InvalidOperationException: Could not detect platform. Are you missing a platform assembly?

[ERROR] FATAL UNHANDLED EXCEPTION: System.InvalidOperationException: Could not detect platform. Are you missing a platform assembly?

@deevo thank you for still trying to fix it! it's still the same when I open the program but the terminal output has changed a bit (I think the end is the same? - I'll paste it below 🙂 

Rick:~ ---$ mono /Users/---/Desktop/Sims4TrayImporter.app/Contents/MonoBundle/Sims4TrayImporter.exe

System.InvalidOperationException: Platform type Eto.Mac.Platform, Eto.Mac64 was loaded but is not valid in the current context.  E.g. Mac platforms require to be in an .app bundle to run

at Eto.Platform.Get (System.String platformType, System.Boolean allowNull) [0x0007e] in <6db481985cca4510b36c8dbd12852b82>:0

at Eto.Forms.Application..ctor (System.String platformType) [0x00000] in <6db481985cca4510b36c8dbd12852b82>:0

at Sims4TrayImporter.Program.Main (System.String[] args) [0x00024] in <622d5673a2fa48459ba70c4c5eafc6e8>:0

at Sims4TrayImporter.Program.Main (System.String[] args) [0x0003c] in <622d5673a2fa48459ba70c4c5eafc6e8>:0

at Sims4TrayImporter.Program.Main (System.String[] args) [0x0003c] in <622d5673a2fa48459ba70c4c5eafc6e8>:0

and its the same for this command:

Rick:~ ---$ cd ~/Desktop/Sims4TrayImporter.app/Contents/MonoBundle

Rick:MonoBundle ---$ mono Sims4TrayImporter.exe

System.InvalidOperationException: Platform type Eto.Mac.Platform, Eto.Mac64 was loaded but is not valid in the current context.  E.g. Mac platforms require to be in an .app bundle to run

at Eto.Platform.Get (System.String platformType, System.Boolean allowNull) [0x0007e] in <6db481985cca4510b36c8dbd12852b82>:0

at Eto.Forms.Application..ctor (System.String platformType) [0x00000] in <6db481985cca4510b36c8dbd12852b82>:0

at Sims4TrayImporter.Program.Main (System.String[] args) [0x00024] in <622d5673a2fa48459ba70c4c5eafc6e8>:0

@dee, thanks
I don't remember the exact command, but it was working back then, because it's how I debugged the app on Mac. 🤔
Maybe try cd ~/Desktop/Sims4TrayImporter.app then mono Contents/MonoBundle/Sims4TrayImporter.exe 

This will set the working dir to the .app bundle, as pointed out by the first error message.

Else try open ~/Desktop/Sims4TrayImporter.app, but not sure if this one will output the debug info.

Not sure if I did it right but here's the output of the first one (the second just opens the application)

Rick:~ ---$ cd ~/Desktop/Sims4TrayImporter.app
Rick:Sims4TrayImporter.app ---$ mono Contents/MonoBundle/Sims4TrayImporter.exe
System.InvalidOperationException: Platform type Eto.Mac.Platform, Eto.Mac64 was loaded but is not valid in the current context.  E.g. Mac platforms require to be in an .app bundle to run

(This is with the new one you posted before btw not with the original version of the app)

• Sad 1